The 1st Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Agroecology Learning alliance in South East Asia (ALiSEA) in Vietnam was organized in Hanoi on the 13th and 14th of November 2017. The support to the emergence of ALiSEA is part of a regional program, Towards an Agroecological Transition (ACTAE), funded by the French Agency for Development (AFD) and implemented by GRET.
The AGM was attended by over 55 participants from a broad diversity of organizations (Local & International NGO, Farmer Federations, Research Centers, Academia, Private Sector, Government Agency and International Donors).
This event was organized around a two-days meeting alternating presentations, insightful talks and field visits. The field visits, on the 13th of November, brought the participants to 2 organic vegetable groups engaged in PGS approach in Thanh Xuan Commune (Soc Son District) and to Bao Chau Organic Pig farm in Minh Phu Commune (Soc Son District). It enabled participants to witness first hand agroecological initiatives and exchange with experienced farmers.
The AGM provided a space for:
- Reinforcing and envisioning a broad coalition of stakeholders involved in the promotion of agroecology in Vietnam
- Presenting and sharing ALiSEA progress activities and updates on granted organizations of the 1st and 2nd calls for proposals from ALiSEA and CANSEA Grant Facility
- Identifying collective actions and events to be organized in 2017-2018
- Facilitating multi-stakeholders’ discussions about agroecology vision & practices as well as ways to develop incentive for AE production upscaling in Vietnam
An ALiSEA members’ fair was organized and visited at each coffee break, highlighting participants products, printed pictures of their work, posters, IEC materials, leaflets, name cards and any other relevant supports in order to enhance their visibility and foster networking and knowledge sharing.
All presentations that have supported the discussions over the second day are available for download hereafter:
ALiSEA Small Grant Facility:
Presentation of on going Small Grants in Vietnam:
- ADC: Promotion of indigenous knowledge based climate change resilient and organic farming practices in the northern mountainous region of Vietnam
- CGFED, Sharing experience and replication of agri-model adapted to Climate Change for women (vietnamese)
- CISDOMA, Promoting agroecology transition via enhancing farmers’ analytical and decision making capacity through application of simulation games
- ICC – Thai Nguyen University, Adaptive Research on Rice/Potato Rotation Model (applying SRI for rice and minimum tillage method for potato) in Paddy Land of Phu Binh district, Thai Nguyen(English) / Adaptive Research on Rice/Potato Rotation Model (applying SRI for rice and minimum tillage method for potato) in Paddy Land of Phu Binh district, Thai Nguyen (vietnamese)
- NOMAFSI: Recycling of rice plant residues for enriching lands with organic matters and in-time cultivation of next crop
- VECO Vietnam, Capitalization of Participatory Guarantee System experiences in Vietnam for upscaling & institutionalization
CANSEA Small Grants:
- CIRAD SELMET / NIAS: Integrating intensive livestock with agroecology in mountainous regions
- CIRAD PVBMT: Agroecological Crop Protection
- CIRAD / NOMAFSI: support to existing sites and promoting dissemination of Conservation Agriculture
- CIRAD Eco&Sols / NOMAFSI / CIAT Asia: LEGINCROP (soil erosion and health / pest control service in cassava)
ALiSEA Network: Members’ participation, Charter and Collective actions
In order to increase engagement of ALiSEA members, a presentation of all the communication tools has been done:
The ToR and mandate for ALiSEA National Secretariat in Vietnam was presented in order to introduce the new focal point, Mr Tan: ALiSEA AGM Vietnam- Secretariat
A discussion was also conducted about the potential collective actions that could be organized in 2017 -2018 in Vietnam: Collective actions in 2017_VN
The ALiSEA charter (draft of March 2017) hasn’t been presented during the AGM due to lack of time. It will be shared shortly via email and followed up by an online consultation for feedback and approval.
Agroecology vision and practices in Vietnam, building a common understanding and supporting AE upscaling
The AGM was concluded by a session dedicated to participants who wanted to share their experiences, outside of the framework of ALiSEA;
- CARES / Vietnam Hanoi University of Agriculture: Experience sharing on ecohydroponic systems/aquaponics
- Vietnam National Farmers Union (VNFU): How VNFU works with farmers to build up the organizations of farmers and develop forest and farm products
- SCAP-IPSARD: Overview of Vietnam vegetable market outlook in 2016-2017 and customer preference study (vietnamese)
- ICERD / The Field Alliance: Agroecology program in Xuan An and Ngoc Son, Vietnam
- Thai Nguyen University: Effects of organic materials on soil properties, growth and yield of honeydew melon
- ICC-Thai Nguyen University: Agroecology transition in Vietnam: Experiences and Prospectives (Vietnamese)