Title: Economic, Health and Ecological Benefits of Organic Vegetable Production through Introduction of Net House and Organic Fertilizers
Svay Rieng University (SRU) &
Royal University of Agriculture (RUA)
Organic vegetable production is an effective means for reducing pesticide application where effects on agroecology is significant. The current practice of net house application of Royal University of Agriculture has shown to be an effective way in pest management. There are some farmers are organically growing vegetable using net house under the project of RUA while another group is using net house with control pesticide application. To enhance the effectiveness of net house application, this project will introduce organic fertilizers being produced by a local manufacturer to at least 5 selected vegetable growers. To understand the effectiveness of net house in combination with manufacturered organic fertilizer, the conventional vegetable production (Model 0), vegetable production using net house with pesticide application (Model 1), organic vegetable production using net house (Model 2), and organic vegetable production using net house in combination with local manufacturered organic fertilizer (Model 3) will be compared using indepth study of those families where weekly activities (expense and income) and observation will be recorded. Analysis of economics, health and environment of all producer groups will be determined so that optimal scernario for production can be made and predicted. Sharing of study findings through desemination workshop and publishing of paper will be a desemination strategy for promoting the effectiveness of the models.
Localization: In Svay Rieng Province, Battambang province and Kandal province of Cambodia
- Field Investigation: Determining the actual situation of the area for the project activities to be implemented and discussing with RUA existing projects and companies to adopt a few models of net house to be replicated in Svay Rieng province.
- Grower Selection: Determining or selecting 5 small-scale commercial vegetable growers to be involved in the project with willing to contribute to the construction of net house and application of organic fertilizers under the small portion of subsidy by the project.
- Field Application: Promoting the utilization of existing organic fertilizers and net house with a closed monitoring on expenses, production and harvesting of the selected vegetable growers.
- Output Assessment: Determining the effectiveness of organic fertilizer and net house application. This will cover the assessment of economic, health and ecological benefits of vegetable production using organic fertilizers and net house in comparison with conventional vegetable production growers within the area and other possible area.
- Dissemination: At the end of the expansion of sharing experiences of applyed organic fertilizers and net house to other vegetable growers in the areas. A dissemination workshop will be conducted in order to share the experiences of farmers in both types. Final paper of the study on “Benefits of organic vegetable production using net house and certified organic fertilizers for economy, health and ecology” will be published in an international journal, probably the ISERD.
Budget granted by ALiSEA: 9,635 $
Photo of Construction of Net house for Vegetables Grower.