On the 5th of December 2017, over 50 participants from Government agencies, Research Institutes, National University of Laos and Development practitioners attended the Sub-Sector Working Group on Agro-biodiversity (SSWG-ABD). The meeting took place at the National Agriculture and Forestry Research Institute (NAFRI) and was chaired by Dr Bounthong Bouahom, Director General of NAFRI, and co-chaired by Dr Stephen Rudgard, FAO Representative in Lao PDR.
The objective of the SSWG-ABD is to support the work of the Sector Working Group on Agriculture and Rural Development (SWG-ARD) in matters regarding to the Lao agrobiodiversity. It focuses more especially on policy aspects regarding the conservation and sustainable use of agro-biodiversity and access and benefit sharing.
The meeting of the 5th of December addressed in priority Agroecology with presentations clarifying the concept and highlighting why it was relevant for Laos & the Mekong Region but also different case studies illustrating ongoing initiatives at both grass root and institutional levels.
- Agroecology in Lao PDR and in the Mekong Region, Why it matters today? How to promote it? By Pierre Ferrand, GRET / ALiSEA
- Identifying barriers in the adoption of Agroecological practices in rural Laos (Savannakhet and Xiengkhuang provinces). By Huam Jai Asasamak Association
- Documenting the case of native eco-vegetables of the Hmong community of Ban Long Lan, Luang Prabang province By Mr. Dam Trong Tuan, SPERI
- Developing Teaching and Learning materials in agroecology at University level in Lao PDR By Prof Somphanh Pasouvang, Faculty of Agriculutre, NUOL
- Sustainable agroecosystem management for adaption to climate change By Mr. Khamphone Mounlamai, NAFRI
- Update on the Agrobiodiversity Portal By Mr. Manoluck Bounsihalath, NAFRI
Photo credits: LaoFAB