A Lao Bamboo Platform workshop addressing the development of the bamboo sector in Lao PDR was held on the 15th and 16th of June 2016 in Vientiane capital, Lao PDR. It was co- organised by Department of Forestry (DoF) / Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF), GRET, WWF and RECOFTC.
The opening was chaired by Mr Boualy Phamuang (Vice Head of DoF) and co-chaired by Mr Martin Hasler (Deputy Director of Cooperation, SDC). The closing was chaired by His Excellency Dr Phouang Parisak Pravongviengkham (Vice Minister, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry).
It brought together 38 participants from national and international NGOs, researchers and provincial and national governments agencies, development partners actively working on developing the bamboo and rattan sector in Lao PDR.
It aimed at defining and creating a dynamic Lao Bamboo Platform for facilitating experience sharing among bamboo and rattan projects in the country in order to create a common vision, to act the willingness of a Lao Bamboo Platform as well as to start the formulation of an action-plan of the Lao Bamboo Platform for initiating a discussion on the national governance of the bamboo sector in Laos.
The workshop was organized into 2 sessions:
- Presentation of the national forestry strategy, related to NTFP and bamboo and a review of main 6 bamboo and rattan projects implemented in Laos (Case studies available for download)
- Forestry Development strategy up to 2020, DoF 1. Forestry Strategy2020_DoF_final__english
- Introduction of the meeting and key data 2. Introduction
- Bamboos status of Lao PDR, welcome to the best practices on Bamboo Value Chain, FSRC/ NAFRI 3. FSRC Bamboo In laos Eng
- Innovative Learning Process for building sustainable bamboo value chains, Bamboo Project, Houaphan Province, GRET 4. GRET BbProject_Gret_Presentation
- Bamboo Investments in Bokeo Province, RECOFTC 5. RECOFTCPresentation on bamboo project in Bokeo 12-06-16 (1)
- The Agrobiodiversity project TABI, 6. TABI_ໂຄງການສົ່ງເສີມການແປຮູບໜໍ່ໄມ້_15 June 16_Lao
- Biodiversity based products ICBF project 7. BBP-ICBF presentation (1)
- Rattan and bamboo project, WWF, 8. WWF Rattan-Bamboo Project-15-June-16_Eng1
- 2 discussions (day 1 pm and day 2 am) on:
Discussion 1: Can we scale up the Houaphan experience to National sector development? What are our common vision and objectives on developing the bamboo sector in Lao PDR? Construction of a Lao bamboo sector governance, based on Huaphan Province experience
- Presentation of Houaphan PAFO of the Houaphan Bamboo Sector Development Strategy: 9. PAFO _Houaphan_Bb_Strategy
- Presentation of the Coffee strategy. 10 Coffee sector Strategy-Bamboo Workshop 15.16-2016 (1)
Discussion 2: What are main Functions and activities for the Lao Bamboo Platform for the next 3 years?
As a way forward, the Lao Bamboo Platform will organize a yearly meeting (Forum) to discuss thematic issues to be solved. It will in future link with the future Bamboo Task Force to facilitate the formulation of the strategy by organizing consultation forum.
The Lao Bamboo Platform is today composed of;
- DoF / Division of Village Forestry and NTFP,
- GRET (Leader of international Organization), WWF, RECOFTC, TABI.
The composition of the LBP will evolve to include representatives of research institute, farmers’ organization, and private sectors.
The first multi stakeholder bamboo and rattan forum will be organized during the year with the objective to initiate multi actors’ dialogue around the potential and issues for the development of the VC in Lao PDR.