Title: SHARING EXPERIENCE AND REPLICATION OF CLOSED LOOP AGRICULTURAL MODEL ADAPTED TO CLIMATE CHANGE FOR WOMEN AND LOCAL KEY PERSONS IN NGHIA HUNG DISTRICT, NAM DINH PROVINCE
RESEARCH CENTRE FOR GENDER, FAMILY AND ENVINRONMENT
IN DEVELOPMENT (CGFED)
Since 2014, CGFED has collaborated with the Hai Hau District Women’s Union to build up a group of pioneering female farmers who do not use pesticides in agricultural production, develop a model of closed loop agriculture without waste through raising earth worms. Within 2 years, up to December 2016, 7 farmer groups were trained with the participation of 87 farmers (6 males and 81 females). This ecological agriculture model in the communes helped to reduce the use of pesticides in the production of vegetables, without using the growth stimulants in livestock breeding. On the other hand, the model also helps increase incomes of household members (30-50%) due to input costs for production are reduced by half compared to conventional production.
Localization: Nghia Hung district Nam Dinh Province Vietnam
- Workshop on planning and training need assessment with participation of stakeholders: poor female farmers, staff of Women’s Union, Farmer’s Union, Agricultural Extension, Plant Protection, Commune Authorities in Nghia Hung district.
- Technical training on ecological agricultural production through raising earth worms
- Training on team building skills and management of production associate groups
- Develop a model of group of women having common interest in accordance to ecological agriculture in Nghia Hung district
- Workshop on evaluation of project results and replication of model in Nam Dinh province
- Case story – Ms. Do Thi Hai, Chairwomen of Women’s Union, Nghia Minh Commune
- Case story – Ms. Mai Thi Dung, Hoang Nam Commune, Nghia Hung District
Budget granted by ALiSEA: 10,000 $