On the 20th of November 2018, MIID hosted a conference at Novotel in Yangon about Agriculture Extension in the Uplands in Myanmar. The conference is a part of MIID’s ongoing project in partnership with Cornell University and with financial support by the Livelihood and Food Security Trust Fund (LIFT): “Securing Positive Nutritional Outcome through Agriculture Extension, Nutritional Education and Institution Building in Rural Chin State.
The forum was one day event and was conducted with a focus on four themes:
- why uplands need a distinct approach;
- Uplands in Agriculture Education;
- Upland Agriculture Extension and Yezin Agricultural University; and
- Upland Agriculture Extension in Practice.
Myanmar Institute for Integrated Development-MIID invited several government senior officers as speakers for the upland agriculture extension approach. The main speakers were from DG and directors at national level, state and regional directors of DoA, professors and research students of YAU, State Agriculture Institute (SAI) teachers and MIID aquaculture specialist.
The last session, panel discussion, was intended to unify the four themes above, with specific reference to: – Challenges and opportunities associated with uplands agriculture extension in practice; If and how government can respond to upland needs and circumstances; and The long-term outlook for uplands livelihoods and agricultural extension in Myanmar.
For the presentations are available below:
- State Agriculture Institutes (SAI) Policy, Strategy & Practice U Phe Saung, SAI
- Upland Agriculture and Farming Systems in Government Extension Modernization Strategies U Win Htein, DoA
- Upland Agriculture and Farming Systems in SAI curriculum Daw Aye Aye Myint, SAI
- Why Mountain Specific Curricula in the Hindu Kush Himalaya? A Case of Nepal Higher Education Dr Chi H Truong, The Himalayan University Consortium and Prof Dr Krishna Raj Tiwari Dean, Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- YAU’s role in Upland Agriculture Extension Professor Nyein Nyein Htwe, YAU
- Knowledge Management for Uplands Dr. Shwe Mar Than, YAU
- Opportunities for Aquaculture in the uplands, an example from Chin State Daw Hlei Tial, MIID
- Upland Farming System analyses Celine Allaverdian, GRET
- Knowledge Assessment for Development of Elephant Foot Yam Value added enterprises in Hakha Township Tin Maung Lwin, YAU
- Factors Influencing Farmers’ Adoption of Soil Conservation Practises in Hakha Township, Chin State
- Impact of Integrated Farming System on Rural Livelihoos in Hakha Township, Chin State Nandar Min Than, YAU