Cr: LaoFAB moderator
Around 30 percent of Vientiane clean agriculture production has been impacted adversely by the COVID-19 outbreak as well as hotter weather conditions, an official in the sector said.
Head of Vientiane Organic Agriculture Production Group, Mr. Khamphou Phanthaboun told the media recently the group has 288 families producing for markets, and 30 percent of their production has been affected by the more difficult growing and selling conditions.
The local organic markets usually sold an average of eight to nine tonnes of produce every Saturday, but the coronavirus pandemic meant that fewer customers were attending, he said.
- Taste Real Flavors, The fruits and vegetables you buy at the farmers market are the freshest and tastiest available.
- Enjoy the Season, The food you buy at the farmers market is seasonal.
- Support Family Farmers, Family farmers need your support, now that small family farms have a hard time competing in the food marketplace and they have to help themselves.
- Discover the Spice of Life: Variety. It is a charm of the local market.
- At the farmers market, you find an amazing array of products that you don’t see in your average supermarket.
- Know Where Your Food Comes From.
COVID-19 also cause a problem to farmers in Myanmar: Food security concerns mount as COVID-19 disruption leaves Myanmar farmers unable to plant
“As of now, the priority is to ensure that we save lives and jointly implement measures to ensure that this pandemic does not translate into a food crisis,” said FAO representative Xiaojie Fan.