Gret is a 40-year old international development organization working in more than 30 countries. Active in Lao PDR since 2004, GRET is implementing projects in various sectors: water supply and sanitation, rural development, natural resource management, land governance and agro-ecology.
Gret is seeking one motivated Lao national to fill a long-term position of Wash Socioeconomist. He/she will be part of a dynamic and professional water supply & sanitation team.
- SEWIT (Supporting the Extension of Water supply in Luang Prabang Province). The project aims at supporting Nampapa in Luang Prabang to extend access to water supply in rural districts.
- Faecal Sludge Management project in Vientiane Capital (FSM). The objective of this project is to structure the faecal sludge management in Vientiane city to improve the urban sanitary environment in the capital of Laos.
- PERSEA project is aiming at improving the living conditions of rural communities in Chomphet, Xieng Ngeun and Phonexay districts with the development of access to safe water and improved toilets.
- Based in Luang Prabang with regular trips to the districts and to Vientiane.
- 13th month salary, health insurance, and other benefits
- 1-year contract (renewable)
Main duties and responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Programme Manager, the WASH socio economist is in charge of providing assistance to the partners for all technical and socio economic aspects of GRET WASH Projects in Lao PDR. The socio economist officer will gradually take over the responsibility of project manager.
- Assist WASH programme managers for meetings, workshops, training, surveys, bidding procedures;
- participate to implement activities of WASH projects (SEWIT, PERSEA) and the preparation of new project proposals).
- Monitor the enforcement of contractual commitments in the field;
- Assist the WASH programme managers in the financial monitoring of the project (budget planning and follow up);
- Conduct community meetings and assist in the preparation of workshops, produce manuals, IEC materials, draft articles;
- Ensure internal communication (minutes of meetings, monthly reports, etc.);
- Facilitate the trainings within the communities,
- Provide assistance to translate documents (English ↔lao);
- Arrange meetings and taking appointments with the project stakeholders, provide logistical assistance for project activities;
- Preparation of activity monitoring reports;
- Education: Master related to social science and economics compulsory.
- Skills required in: business management, economy, social science
- Experience : at least 5 relevant years
- Excellent communication & organizational skills
- Capacity for leadership, project management and analysis
- Language: excellent command of spoken and written English (French an asset)
- Computer proficiency with MS Office
- Ability to work in the field;
- Ability to work well within a multidisciplinary team;
Interested candidates should send a detailed CV (education, work experience and recent references) and a cover letter detailing his motivation for the position to: GRET – P.O. Box 2483 – Ban Saphanthong – Vientiane Capital – Tel: 021 454 198; Email: [email protected] and [email protected].
Deadline for submission of application: 18th of February 2019
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.