The French National Research Institute for Sustainable Development (IRD) is looking for a young and motivated individual to assist in conducting research activities on natural resources management and agricultural dynamics in Cambodia. The successful candidate will mostly contribute to the DOUBT (Deltas dealing with uncertainty) research project by participating to the design of qualitative research protocols on irrigation and water management and by conducting field work in two regions of Cambodia: the upper Mekong delta and the Tonle Sap plains.
The successful candidate will be based at the ECOLAND Research center of the Royal University of Agriculture (RUA) in Phnom Penh where his IRD supervisor is currently hosted and he will contribute to strengthening the research portfolio of the center on natural resources management and rural development in Cambodia.
Skills and Experience [Compulsory]
- Master level degree in social science disciplines such as human geography, sociology, anthropology, rural development, development studies, or economics;
- Knowledge of issues related to Natural Resources Management, Rural Development and/or the Agricultural Sector in Cambodia and South East Asia;
- Proven experience in designing and implementing social science enquiry methods: qualitative interviews, focus group discussion, participant observation in rural Cambodia;
- At least 2-3 years experience working for NGOs, development organizations, higher education institutes and/or universities in Cambodia (including field work in rural areas)
- Perfect command of Khmer;
- Excellent command of English;
- Willingness to stay in rural areas for long periods of time;
- Autonomy and flexibility;
- Willingness to work as a team member and follow instructions;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
Skills and experience [Additional]
- Previous knowledge of water resources and irrigation management issues in Cambodia;
- Previous knowledge of the institutional framework governing water and natural resources management in Cambodia;
- Experience in Remote Sensing and GIS Analysis (land cover/land use change) ;
- Experience in developing research project proposal;
- French language skills ;
- Monthly salary of $500-$600 commensurate to experience and expertise
- All field-work related costs covered
To apply for this position please send a CV, cover letter and English proficiency certificate (TOEFL, IELTS, or equivalent) to Jean-Philippe Venot (email@example.com).
The closing date for the receipt of applications is May 31, 2017. Interviews of selected candidates are expected to take place between June 5 to 15, 2017.
Download job desciption hereafter: IRD_Job Description for a full-time Fieldwork Assistant_Cambodia.