Background and Aims
The aim of the project is to develop a new link between Australian and Vietnam for promoting organic agriculture movement through training and workshop. The project has four work packages (WP). The WP1 is to build capacity building for three Australian Awards Scholarship (AAS) Alumni from An Giang University (AGU) about experience and practices of organic agriculture development in Australia, provided by Organic Agriculture Association (OAA), National Association of Sustainable Agriculture Australia (NASAA), Canberra Organic Grower Society (COGS), Fenner School of Environment & Society, the Australian National University. In WP2, the AAS alumni team from AGU (Dr Nguyen Van Kien, Mr Nguyen Van Thai, Mr Le Ngoc Hiep) will develop an organic agriculture research Hub/Center/Institute entitles “Mekong Organics Hub” to promote linked agriculture – nutrition – public health in the Mekong Delta Region. For WP3, the Hub will partner with An Giang Department of Agriculture & Rural Development and An Giang People’s Committee to organize the first Mekong Delta Forum on Developing Partnerships Between Australia & Vietnam for Organic Agriculture Movement. The aims of the forum are to share the experience of organic agriculture research and development to organic growers, organic agriculture associations, farm extension staffs, local governments, business sectors, and NGOs and to develop a partnership for organic industry development in two countries: Vietnam-Australia. The WP4 is piloting home-based organic vegetable farm with Khmer women farmers in An Giang province to promote nutrition and population health outcomes for the communities.
This workshop (WP3) aims to develop partnerships between Australia & Vietnam for Organic Agriculture Movement. The forum is co-funded by Aus4Skills Small Grants for AAV alumni & An Giang People’s Committee (Department of Agriculture & Rural Development) & An Giang University.
- An Giang University (AAV Alumni team, small grant from Aus4Skills)
- Mekong Organics (in-kind contribution)
- Research Center for Rural Development (in-kind contribution)
- Organic Agriculture Association (OAA) Bairnsdale, Victoria, Australia (in kind contribution)
- University of New England Australia (in-kind contribution)
- Organic businesses in the South of Vietnam
Key donors: The forum is co-funded by Aus4Skills Small Grants Fund Round 2-2018 (AAV Alumni), An Giang People’s Committee & An Giang Department of Agriculture & Rural Development, and An Giang University.
Contact Details (AAV team, recipients of the AAV Small Grants from Aus4Skills)
- Dr Nguyen Van Kien (team leader), Research Center for Rural Development, An Giang University: [email protected] or [email protected] ; Research Fellow, Fenner School of Environment & Society, the Australian National University, Founder of the Mekong Organics.
- Mr Le Ngoc Hiep, Faculty of Agriculture & Natural Resources, An Giang University: [email protected]
- Mr Nguyen Van Thai, Research Center for Rural Development, An Giang University: [email protected]
- Mr Vo Thanh Minh, Department of Agriculture & Rural Development, An Giang Province: [email protected]
For more information: Tentative agenda